Monday, August 20, 2007

Stupid Me, Stupid Knee

Did you see my surgery photos on Facebook?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11746&l=39cea&id=601795676

This is why you don't spin around and run backwards in the middle of a long run. And it is probably a good example of stacking too many miles too quickly into a training schedule while running an impossible number of stairs.

So, what is the punishment for my excess?
  1. I can't use my right leg to go up and down stairs for 2 months. It must not bend like that in weight bearing situations. (This also means that sitting and standing require an abnormal methodology.)
  2. I must exercise said leg for many hours a day:
    Doc says 6 to 8 hours of constant motion or it will become scar tissue.
    I must do extension - 200 reps/day to build the Vastus Medialis head.
  3. I can't ride a bike for 3 months. In 3 months when I can ride a bike, nothing intense, no hills, not fast, and the bike must allow full extension.
  4. I can't run for 6 months. (This is about the time that I'll probably have the same surgery on the other knee.)

SURGERY STORY:
No eating after 2am Wednesday, 12 hours before the surgery, and no drinking 6 hours before the surgery - 8am Wednesday August 15, 2007.

I went in early for the pre-op tests, making sure I am not sick, have no heart or lung conditions, and a last round of x-rays, this was at 9am. Then they said I could go home, but I decided I would just wait there. I was thinking I would be hanging out in a waiting room or go to a local cafe if the waiting rooms are all full. However, they decided to give me a room!

I then got ready for the surgery around 1:30pm, but there was an emergency case - it took a few hours. I waited. I was getting my knee shaved and cleaned around 2:30pm and then got moved back upstairs to the room I was just in. The emergency case was a very loud drunk, they didn't want me in pre-op with him. I thought that was a good idea!

They wheel me into the operating room, have me slide onto the table, begin connecting some arm boards, and Dr. Cui says, "Let's shave the entire leg." I am thinking, no your joking, right? Nope. They start up on the inner thigh, which tickles... and then they start to shave the left leg... but just a patch for some electronic monitor. Dr. Cui was saying, "Let's just shave both of them, in fact how about everything below the belt."

At this point I was glad to be given the sedation and pain killer injections!

I woke up briefly after the surgery, speaking Chinese a lot! This was on the way to my recovery room. Don't really know what I was saying, but it was funny thinking about the possibilities later. I think I was saying I am really hungry, tired, and thirsty.

I didn't wake up again until midnight. The radio was on in my room. I didn't know if I could get out of bed. The call button was disconnected. So, I phoned the operator and asked for the nurses station. I wonder why my call button was disconnected. What was wrong with me? Was I a pain in the neck, asking too many questions? I know there was a time when I had a nurse and doctor on each side of me... I was asking a bunch of questions, but don't remember any of it now.

So, I wake up the next morning and find out I am allowed to walk! I was given a walker on getting out of bed, but soon realized it wasn't required or completely necessary. So, I packed up and went home.

This has been the story: "Stupid me! Stupid knee!" by Andrew Hill

P.S. Oh, if you ever have to get this surgery ... ask about irrigating the innards before and after!
Muy importante!

No comments: