Monday, August 13, 2007

Comfort & Opinions

I feel like a man who has many tools, but has never really learned how to use them. Then why do I have them? What does He want from me? Where am I supposed to be? What am I supposed to do? What do You want from Jaime and I? Where do You see us? Where will You call us to serve You and Your people?

The people are all without a Shepherd. They are in danger of going to the worst unimaginable place. If we aren't serving them, sharing You with them, and giving our lives for them, how will they know You? How will they be rescued? How will they find Home? Is this worth my life? Really ... what if I loose it? More close to reality, are these people worth my safety and health? Even closer still, are they worth my time and comfort? Can I be disciplined enough to serve them for You? Can I give up some of my precious free time so others won't suffer forever? (This sounds ridiculous, but isn't it the truth? I never really thought about it so simply, so directly, until He broke open my heart and showed me how calloused I am.)

Is my life supposed to be about them or me? What is most important here? What others think? What I think? Or what my Father thinks?

I struggle with strange waves of emotion. I am aware of my inadequacies, I know some of my shortcomings, but when it comes down to it, I simply haven't given up on my comfort and other people's opinions. I like it when others think I am smart, successful, doing a great service for my King, and really adventuresome. But taking pictures of remote places, teaching people His Word, and even making Disciples isn't what He wants. He wants me truly to give my heart, daily, continually, opening each little corner so His Glory will fill my life - so that His Glory can shine in this world.

He doesn't fill my heart so I can feel good about myself, that is a byproduct. It isn't so that others can think, "Wow, Andrew really loves his Savior" - that is too Pharisaical, and again it is a byproduct with purpose if I am humble. Then why does the Lord of Lords fill my heart? So that His Glory can receive honor, so that His Glory is upheld, and so that I can have a relationship with Him as I serve Him as my Lord and Master forever.

From this, He is longing for my friendship. He is tugging at my heart, asking me to open it to Him, so that He can show me how to have Life, how to Love, and He really wants me to learn His ways of understanding this world, His children, and myself.

I need to experience something of this daily. I need to keep some part of this moment fresh in my heart, so that I am useful to my King.

This is for me... it doesn't matter how much I clean myself up, I still need His cleansing. Yet, I am responsible to prepare myself for service to my King. No matter how old I get, this verse is fitting. No matter how mature I think I am, this verse is useful. No matter, He calls me to strip away the old ways and prepare anew for His service!

2 Tim 2:21-22, "If any one purifies himself from what is ignoble, then he will be a vessel for noble use, consecrated and useful to the master of the house, ready for any good work. So shun youthful passions and aim at righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call upon the Lord from a pure heart."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to send a few friends here to look at this post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and self reflection.

Veta Hemric said...

It if for the meeting of Renee and Lesley last week that I have read this...I am thankful for them coming into my knowledge of their being...wonderful people and I hope to have a long term friendship and trading of thought provoking, mind enhancing experiences all my life from just such people as these two who have crossed paths with me. They escaped to the country and stayed a while with me and left lasting memories and character traits that others should be blessed with...

Anonymous said...

I came here via Renee (Xanga). Bravo for asking such questions of yourself, and for doing your best to help bring God to people who desire Him. We sometimes get so caught up in what we think He may want from us, that we stand transfixed, like a deer in the headlights. You are walking the walk.
I will be sure to bookmark your site, and visit regularly.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I talk to Renee on Xanga. Nice post and I love that verse. That's one we could all use everyday.
I like your site too, I think I'll add some of this to my site.
May God Bless your mission!
Vicky

SwordandSacrifice said...

Renee is a friend of mine from Xanga and she suggested I check this out.

I'm very glad I did.

You and our brothers and sisters in China are making a great difference in many lives. Keep laying up those crowns! :o)

Peace and Grace,
Rob

Anonymous said...

You're doing a wonderful thing. God bless. Also here via Renee . . .