Thursday, October 16, 2008

Working Out

This is our first week to go to the gym. It is a real gym, with a swimming pool, nautilus style machines, treadmills a plenty, and of course free weights. I have begun designing a regiment for a rotational full body workout and soon will be over that initial pain of starting physical conditioning. Then sometime later, I hope to do a p90x workout...

Language school is another kind of workout. My brain feels like it is going to pop in class - my teacher's liquid fast procession of Chinese gives me a serious workout. I am amazed at how much I understand, but I'm still translating everything. I want to push past that. The good thing about the linguistic workout - my brain won't actually pop. A physical workout can snap-crackle-pop muscles from their connective tissues... but I can keep cramming stuff into my brain for a long time. However, the more that goes in, the more tired it makes me. Language learning really takes a toll on the entire body.

Here is something fun - when I first start working out my body doesn't know how to handle it. I don't have much extra energy hanging around on my body, so I get really jittery and need to eat every couple of hours. I eat fruit when I wake, breakfast with Jaime, a mid-morning snack, lunch, then something mid-afternoon, and a nice simple dinner. I feel like a Hobit: They enjoy at least six meals a day, when they can get them - breakfast, elevenses (sometimes known as 'second breakfast'), luncheon, tea, dinner and, later in the evening, supper.

No comments: